October 18, 2012

Happenings This Fall


We've had much to do.  School, laundry, girl scouts, piano, co-op, small group, Bible studies... We are involved.  But, thankfully many hours in our day are still spent together.  I feel blessed to be able to stay home, to homeschool, and not feel the rush and stress of life to the degree that it could be.

I'm thankful that on fall days, the kids can be outside.  We have rather large garden spider that we have befriended near our house.  She gets fed... often... by the kids catching bugs to throw into her web.  Who needs a science book when they have the opportunity to see a spider's spinnerets in real time?  And we know it's a "her" because she was very fat one day, disappeared the next, and came back rather skinny.  We have deduced that she laid some eggs in a conspicuous spot.  Now we are waiting and observing.

I love the fact that the kids are becoming fast friends.  Kaden and Gracyn are two peas in a pod as much as Ella and Hannah.  They all get along (for the majority of the time) and play well as a foursome, but the two and two are tight.



Lately, sweet Ella has been attached to me in a way that has given me pause.  She has enjoyed spending time with me and asks me often, "Are you coming outside, too?  Good!"  She wants me to play with her... just be with her.  I think in my beginning days as a mother that would have irritated me. I would have spent many thoughts on the lack of time for myself.  But, in a wonderful way, God has stretched me and taught me that my children are a real blessing... They are such a precious gift.  The fact that they even want me around... I mean I just don't know how long that will last.  Prayerfully, let me count it a joy when time for myself is replaced with time with my children.  

In an attempt to train Kaden out of his 5 am awakenings, we let Gracyn stay the night in the big girls room a few weeks ago.  I got to listen to their late night conversations through the monitor and was simply in awe.  Ella and Hannah were sharing Jesus with Gracyn... Talking about how He died on the cross for her sins and rose from the grave.  Gracyn had a lot of questions about why he had to die.  It is still a bit of a mystery to her.  But, I am blessed that their hearts are already falling in love with Christ.  I'm touched when Gracyn says the prayer at dinner time and tells Jesus she loves Him and "thank you for being in my heart."  

These are wonderful days.  I'm so thankful to have the time, the energy, and the wisdom to slow down to enjoy them.  






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate! We are in a beautiful season of simple joys!

Gretchen P said...

Love all the pictures!


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.