March 17, 2012

Garden Party

I wish my camera was working... I wish I could've captured our garden party this morning.  But, words will have to do, I suppose.  Last weekend Jason spent hours working hard on tilling our garden. Let's just say he was sore for days.  And he did it... All alone.

This morning was a different scene.  Jason was not a lone duck as he smoothed the garden free of grass and dirt clods, rocks and roots, and maybe an ant pile or two.  He had 10 extra hands helping him... Yes, 10.  Even Kaden was out picking up grass clods and putting them in the wheel barrow.  It was a sweet scene.

Yes, we did have to get the girls back on track about 38 times (who's counting?).  And, yes, we did take a few breaks to watch a grub get paralyzed by our garden ants, or play with the roly polies, or observe the giant (and I do mean giant) centipede.  But, many hands made light work, regardless of our getting off track. 

I'm thankful that Jason urges our kids to get their hands dirty, regardless of their gender.  I'm thankful that through this they learn to appreciate all of God's creation... And rather than finding what He made to be disgusting, they are fascinated with His design.  I'm hopeful that getting dirty now is a foreshadow of things to come... That they will not be afraid to work hard, sweat a little, and persevere. That they'll be willing and able to work for themselves, fend for themselves, and enjoy the benefits of their own labor.  Or most importantly, I'm hopeful that this simple act prepares them for getting their hands dirty in God's work.  Whatever they are led to do, I pray they are willing to go knee deep in muck and grime for Him.

No comments:


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.