March 15, 2012

Fear is what drives many of us.  We have a tendency to allow fear to shape our thoughts, our attitudes, and our emotions.  Fear is the biggest motivator for many of us to behave a certain way.  Yet, we worry about so much that is beyond our control.  And, if we are living in the freedom of knowing He is in control, then fear should have no place in our lives.  Easy to say... Hard to live.

Wouldn't you agree that for most of us we allow fear to steer us in stead of God?  Sometimes subconsciously?  We allow fear to guide our decisions on what job we choose, which house or city we live in, which school we choose for our children, or for homeschoolers what curriculum we choose, sometimes what church we belong to, or what activities we choose for our families.  Too often, fear keeps us from doing all that God could do in our lives, as well.  

Last fall, God allowed me to experience postpartum depression for the third time.  I won't get into the how's and why's of it all, but it was... let's just say not fun.  It's amazing to me, though, to look back and see the Lord at work in HUGE ways in my life during those low days.  He revealed a great deal to me about myself and how I deal with fear and worry.  And I will say, I came out the other side a much different person.  

I'm not going to say now that I don't ever worry or that fear is not something I struggle with sometimes. But, I am so very conscious of  it now.  And most of the time, I know in my heart that "...all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose," (Romans 8:28).  He has proven to me time and again that even through the most challenging times in my life, He had a plan.  It was part of His purpose and for my greater good.  THAT is something I can rely on... So worrying about it is to worry that He's not gonna get it right.  And, I'm pretty sure He's got this whole thing figured out.  

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


No comments:


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.