October 4, 2011

There is this person I have known all my life.  He's that kinda guy who gives a strong word of encouragement no matter what you are facing. You know, the type of encouragement that makes you believe you can get through anything.   He's the one everyone calls when we need perspective; when our thoughts have gotten the better of us and we need steady ground.  He's also the guy who sees the world as it could be, as it should be.  He looks for the best in everyone and does all he can to ensure everyone's happiness. 

This person I know, the one I've known all my life, never wanted to grow up.  Even with all of his incredible successes as an adult, I'm quite certain there is a little boy wrapped up inside dying to make an appearance.  In fact, he makes his appearance as often as is possible, and that is when he is his true self.

I would imagine it would surprise even the most loyal of fathers to learn that this man never missed a game, awards ceremony, play, etc. of any of his three children.  He was always there as the proudest papa in the stands.  He also ensured that his family had dinner together more often than not. In the days of busy schedules, carrots dangling for more money, and other typical family distractions, he was at the head of the table leading by example.

This person I've known all my life, I have learned a great deal from.  He's taught me to work hard, to persevere, to look for the good in others, to find joy even in the midst of challenges.  This man I know, I happen to know quite well.  He is my dad and there is no other like him.  Happy birthday, Dad! You are deeply loved.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Amen, sister :)

Dad said...

I am humbled by your praise....it was absolutely my joy to be the father to three very special children! Each one is gifted in their own way, and all were great fun to watch grow into incredible adults. The "little boy" loved every minute, and the "father" was indeed the proudest in the stands!! My life has been wonderfully blessed...

With great love - Dad


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.