October 12, 2011

He Answered

Our mornings don't always go as planned.  Some days we get everything accomplished, but most days we struggle to make it through the morning without a major episode of emmy award winning drama.  Well, today was a good morning.  We were able to do our devotion, complete our school work, and even have time for a few errands.

As we were out and about, we decided to join Daddy for lunch.  We were driving happily along when we saw her.  Her sixty-ish year old fragile frame was hunched over a grocery cart... Using all of the strength she could muster to push it uphill.  The contents of the grocery cart... Everything she owned, I presume.  I drove by and instantly knew.  There were no doubts.  He had answered our prayer.

You see, earlier in the morning, as we prepared to pray together for our day I asked the girls for any requests.  Hannah asked that we pray for those in need... Those without food or shelter.  This is a common request from the girls.  But, interestingly today I prayed a little differently.  Instead of just asking God to help those in need,  I asked Him to reveal to us anyone whom we might be able to help.  That he would open our eyes.

Without a hesitating thought I pulled into the KFC around the corner, ordered her a lunch and a coke, and went back to find her.  The girls asked, "Mommy, you passed Daddy's office.  Where are you going?"

"Girls, I need you to help me find the lady we just drove past.  She's pushing a grocery cart.  I want to give her this food."

"Mom, does she not have any food?"

"I don't think so. We need to help her."

"Mom!  We prayed for her this morning!"

As we pulled around the corner to where we last saw her, my heart sank.  She was nowhere in sight.  I kept driving, hoping, praying we would find her.  Two turns later there she was; still pushing along.  I was on a busy street, but she was near a spot that seemed heaven sent for me to pull into.  As I got out of the car I walked up to her and she saw me.

"Would you like some lunch, ma'am?"

"Oh, I just ate at the mission."

"Well, is there anyone you know that might like this? Or could you have it for dinner tonight?"

"What is that? Chicken?" she asked with an excited voice.

"Yes. Would you like it?"

"Yes!  Thank you.  Thank you."

And that was it.  Our interaction was over.  I went back to my car in tears.  Thinking or rather knowing that I should do more.  I wanted desperately to talk more with her.  Find out her story.  Why?  How?  I wanted to pack her two tiny suitcases in the back of my oversized van, open the passenger door for her, and drive her back to our home.  I wanted to give her a warm bed to sleep in tonight, warm meals tomorrow and the next day and the next.  But I didn't.  And honestly, I'm ashamed.  I should have done more.  I could have done more.  Next time I have the chance, I pray I will.

As we pulled away the girls asked a million questions.  We got out of the van to meet Daddy for lunch and Hannah told me, "Mom, when we couldn't find her I prayed that we would."  Ella told us she was doing the exact same thing.

He answered our prayer.  He always does. But as for my part, I should have done more... When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required. Luke 12:48

No comments:


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.