When I first started a few weeks ago, I thought school had to be... well, school. Everyone sit down, pencils ready, raise your hand, reading from 9:00-9:28, math from 9:29-10:03... Yada, yada, yada. OK, maybe I wasn't that meticulous, but you get the point. Well, as you can imagine, that worked for all of about 3 seconds.
God opened my eyes to the fact that our schooling didn't have to mirror institutionalized schooling... Or look anything like it, for that matter. Life is learning. We want our kids to have learning spirits and, well, the way I started wasn't accomplishing that goal. If fact, it was giving me opposite results.
So here we are. Three weeks later and moving in the direction of doing school the way that works for us. I won't take this post to go into all of what that is, but here is a little glimpse.
Thanks to my sweet friend, Lia, the girls had some fun friend time with her 3 little girls ages 5, 3, and 1. Because Lia is a homeschooling momma, she also has the desire to develop a learning spirit in her girls. Instead of staying cooped up on a beautiful day, she took all 5 girls on a walk. Not just any walk, mind you, an exploration in the simplest of places: her neighborhood. The girls came back with a bag full of fun finds. This was the treasure of them all:
The Purple Passionflower
Passiflora Incarnata
So, this became the central learning of our day! When the girls came home we journaled their find in a nature notebook. Lia sent me information on the flower and we talked about some really cool facts on it. Bet ya didn't know this is the state flower of Tennessee. Also, Spanish missionaries used it as a beautiful illustration of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. The 3 stigmata, they said, represented three nails used in Christ's hands and feet, and the five anthers were the 5 wounds he received in his flesh. How neat to find a flower with such unique beauty and history! AND it's named of all things, the Passionflower.
![]() |
| Hannah's Illustration |
![]() |
| Ella's Illustration |
(If you are at all interested, you can start following our school blog here.)



2 comments:
What a joy and privilege :-) Also, I didn't even realize you started your homeschool blog...I love it!
-Lia
I know homeschooling is something you've prayed about for a long long time and I'm so happy that you have peace and joy in this process. I look forward to following your journey on here!
Post a Comment