September 5, 2013

The Reds

It is finished... It has been many weeks, but our little big project is finally finished.  Shame on me for not taking a picture of the final product, but that will soon come.  We can't wait to introduce the newest addition, er additions, to the Anderson clan!!!  

Ta-da!!!!



Yep, folks, that's right!  We have chickens!!!  It has been, for at least a year, a dream of ours to have our own backyard, egg laying hens, and today our dream became a reality!  We are excited to no end!  I just went upstairs to check on the girls before I retired for the night, only to find them wide-eyed thinking about their little babies, wondering how they are doing.  

This is such a learning process for all of us, but sooooo fun to get to learn!  Right now, our little chickies are in the garage keeping warm... Chirping up a storm and romping all over the place.  They are too fun to watch; already we are mesmerized!  

We had one that didn't make it and one currently being nursed back to health.  We think she's going to pull through, and if she does, that will give us 6 happy little hens.  

Some things to know about our brood:

* They came in the mail.  Yes, that's right.  In the mail.

* They are Rhode Island Reds.  Supposed to be good layers and good for this dreadfully hot climate of ours here in the deep South.

* They won't lay any eggs for a loooooong time.  Patience.  Patience is a virtue.  We get the privilege of loving them, learning them, and caring for them, before they return all that love.  THEN, we hope to have around 3 dozen eggs a week... maybe.  We are crossing our fingers for March-ish to see some eggs.

* Have you ever had a fresh egg?  I mean an egg from a chicken that eats bugs instead of soy?  One that lives where it's supposed to, running and laughing in the sunshine instead of in a cage not even as large as a piece of paper?  Yes, that is how commercial egg layers are raised.  
Well, if you haven't you should.  It. Makes. A. Difference.

*They have been named already - kind of.  We are still looking for differences in them, distinguishing features.  But, as it stands, here is what they have named these little girls, notice the "red" theme with some of them:

Ella:  Rose Bud
Hannah: Little Red Chirping Hood
Gracyn:  Chickie Chick (not to be confused with our guinea pig she lovingly name "Blackie Black"... I'm seeing a theme here).
Kaden: Carol (what???)

We have two more without a name.  I guess that's for Jason and I to decide.  

Well, tell us what you think!  We are beside ourselves giddy.  Really.  We are giddy, giddy, giddy!

1 comment:

Aunt Ali said...

After sleep training Ru this morning (she's learning how to self-soothe...such fun!...NOT) and coming out of her room teary-eyed...THIS is the post I needed to read. I literally laughed out loud at Kaden's chick's name. Carol. SO FUNNY. Love you, K!


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.