July 19, 2013

Happy Birthday Gracyn!

With all that has occurred this year, I have been so very neglectful of my annual birthday letters.  So, I thought I might take some time over the next few posts to catch up on the much needed joyful celebrations we have had since December.

I'm oh, so happy to start with my sweet Gracyn.

On December 11, 2012 she turned four.  But, that momentous birthday wasn't just another year; from where I sit, I see that with the turning of the clock came a deep sensitivity that I wasn't expecting.  Gracyn feels, I mean feels down in her soul.  She has this beautiful and only God-given empathy for others that I have only begun to have myself.

I remember just a few months after her birthday we went to our annual well-check up with the doctor.  Gracyn was unaware that she was getting four - count them - f-o-u-r  shots!  It wasn't necessary to cause a great deal of anxiety while we waited in that tiny room for an hour so I kept that information to myself.  Kaden was there, too, to get a few shots.  I let him go first; still completely unaware was Gracyn.

I held Kaden as he cried.  Doled out motherly affection while helping him through his pain.  When I turned to look at Gracyn she was sitting quietly with enormous tears streaming down her cheeks.  "What is it, Gracyn?" I inquired.

And this is exactly what she whispered word for word, "I'm just so, so sad for Kaden."

Ah!  Melt my heart!  What beautiful empathy at such a young age!  I wanted to just scoop her up and run far, far away from that wretched place!  After she expressed such love, how could I let them hurt her so! Well, I won't tell the rest of the story, but it was heartbreaking to say the least.

This is only one example of the real character I am beginning to see develop in this sweet, young girl.  And I know it's only the beginning.


My favorite Gracyn,

How can it be that I've only known you for four short years?  The mark you have left on my heart seems as though it was etched at the beginning of time.  I look back on the years that you challenged me as a toddler and am in awe of the beautiful person you are becoming.  So far you have come from the sneaky little toothpaste hoarder, the up-all-night demander... Now, in that place is a sweet, precious little girl that charms the world with her smile.

I see myself in you quite a bit.  You are content to be alone, yet you enjoy the company of others just the same.  You seem to think deeply on things - taking time to process and let it all sink in.

One of my favorite Gracynisms is your nightly prayers.  You beg and beg to get to pray before dinner and sometimes get upset when the opportunity falls to someone other than yourself.  Your prayers are precious and heartfelt, often times asking God to be in "everyon'es heart" and "stuff like that".  You pray for our family to have good attitudes, you pray for our sick friends with cancer, you pray for families going through challenges.  You just seem to have a heart for the hurting.  I love that about you.

Something else that makes my heart just melt is the way you adore your siblings, especially your brother.  You two have become thick as thieves lately.  When he's napping, it seems you are at a loss as to what to do.  It's as though there can't be one of you without the other.  He's your best friend and you are teaching him so much.

And the dancing... Oh, the dancing seems to just flow through your veins!  If I have to tell you once a day, I tell you ten times how many more months are left until dance class starts.  You change tutus and leotards like a runway model.  It is not unusual for you to be in something new each hour of the day.  You are girly girl from head to toe, but are right by your daddy's side catching frogs at dusk.  That makes me so proud.

Gracyn, it is such an honor to be your momma.  I'm so very thankful to God who has graced us with as many days with you that He has.  You are going to go on to do some mighty things for His kingdom, I just know it.  I will watch and admire and learn from all that you are becoming.  It brings me so much joy to so so.  I love you and I know, as you like to say, you "know that". :)

Love,

Mommy

    


No comments:


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.