I used to just smile and add, "Yes, I do." But two experiences changed all that.
Once, we were in the Dollar Store minding our own business - and I might add that everyone was quiet and peacefully shopping! Yet, a woman walked by us, noticed us, and exasperatedly shook her head and walked away. I mean, really!?
Ella, my very observant little munchkin noticed her and said, "Mommy, I know it's hard to shop with all these kids sometimes." Oh, my heart just sank! The thing is, she wasn't just noticing that one woman's response to our brood, but she had heard it over, and over, and over again - how full our family is.
Another time, we were walking out of Walgreens. A woman stopped dead in her tracks, haughtily counted out loud on her fingers - "One... two... three... four." She shook her head in disgust and walked away. Perhaps it was some sort of carbon footprint thing, I don't know. But, I wouldn't doubt that she got in her brand new car - that likely wasn't hybrid - went home to her newly built house, sat on her recently purchased couch, and watched her oversized brand new TV. Often times, the most vocal are the least knowledgable. Ah, I digress.
Adding up all the responses, I began to get frustrated. Not necessarily at everyone's complete lack of understanding, but that it was affecting my children! THEY ARE NOT A BURDEN - I wanted to shout. They are the largest blessing of our lives! Having "this many" children has changed me, challenged me, grown me, and produced much more depth to our lives that was lacking prior to each one of them.
So, I began to answer in the positive. "Yes, and it's the BEST kind of 'full' there is!" or "I wouldn't have it any other way!" And with that the responses began to change. People don't expect to hear that. I could see a new look in their eyes - a pondering. Now, they are stopped dead in their tracks for different reasons. And I like to think it's because they have something to consider now... That large families truly are a blessing. That women with their "hands full" aren't all wishing for their old lives back. Most, if not all, are embracing the beauty their little people bring into their lives.
I wouldn't change this:
for anything.

2 comments:
And we, as their grandparents, wouldn't want you to!!! So blessed to have EACH in our lives!!
I would say, not as full as my heart. :)
Beth
Post a Comment