February 18, 2012

Um... Oops!

The girls ask A LOT of questions.  I finally gave in and told them how a baby is born.  That's another story, but if you are wondering, it went surprisingly well.

Lately, the questions have been regarding the tooth fairy.  Since Ella's started her own home business "Lose Teeth, Make Money" we are having lots of conversations about this particular little twinkle toes.  It just so happened that she lost two teeth in a matter of 3 days.  This, all during a mess of back to back illnesses floating around our home, was the first time I forgot the dollar!  Yikes!  But, by the grace of God, I shot up in the middle of the night, er, was that Gracyn's paci sucking 2 feet from my ear that woke me up at 3 AM... Anyway, I was up and I remembered!

So, I go in search of a dollar at 3 AM.  The dollar bill is a big deal.  I had plenty of quarters, but I needed a bill.  Found one in Jason's wallet (that's where your last dollar went, honey), and stumbled upstairs half asleep.  After putting the dollar carefully under the pillow I searched for the tooth.  Couldn't find it anywhere.  So I made plans in my head to find it in the morning, hopefully, before she did.

Well, with a house full of hungry stomachs, that never happened.  But, as I was tucking them in bed the next night, Ella happened upon it on TOP of her bed sheets.  "Mom, what... is... this? Why did the tooth fairy leave my tooth?"

"Um... Maybe she didn't need it this time?"  I reply cautiously.

"Well, she didn't leave a note!" (Last time the tooth fairy left the tooth she included a note explaining it all).

"Hmmm... Maybe she dropped it!"

"Nope, she has a wand, mother. She couldn't have dropped it."

"Ok, maybe there's a hole in her bag??"  I could see it in her eyes.  THIS was a plausible explanation.

"Well, I'm going to have to ask someone who has lost teeth if they have found any in their bed... Because then we will know for sure that the tooth fairy has a hole in her bag!"

So, as you can imagine I was relieved.  Barely made it out alive.  But, the days following were FULL of questions about how it's possible for the tooth fairy to have holes in her bag and the ramifications of such a problem...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops #2... And this time, I was caught red handed.

"Ella, please go put my necklace that you've been wearing today away in my jewelry box."

... minutes later...

"Um, Mom, what is my tooth doing in your jewelry box???"

I turn and give Jason THE LOOK, you know the one that screams HELP ME... But all I see is him silently giggling to himself.

"Here, let me see it," Jason finally stopped laughing long enough to be my hero.  "Hun, this isn't your tooth.  I kept one of mine when it fell out when I was a kid."

Ella firmly explained how that wasn't possible, "But, it looks just like my tooth.  The top right one." What???  How could she possibly remember?

"Well, dear, all teeth look the same, silly!"  We waited... Silently praying, hoping that would stick.

"I dunno, Dad.  It looks just like mine, the little blood spot and all!"  (TMI, I know).

We brushed her off with goodnights, time to go to beds, and see ya in the mornings, but I know... I KNOW this will not be the end of it.  I've gotta come up with something good and I only have about 10 hours.  She's lying in bed now, as I write, reeling it over in her mind, I just know.

No comments:


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.