February 21, 2012

It Happened...

Hannah has a heart, a big, big heart.  And a heart that loves Jesus.  I feel so humbled to be her momma.  Truly, so humbled.  She teaches me in so many ways.


Tonight, as I was getting the girls ready for bed Hannah asked if she could do something with Gracyn.  It was a late night already.  We had spent much of the last hour changing batteries in my van while the kids sat in Daddy's truck in the middle of a parking lot.  Everyone was exhausted, as it had been a day full of activities - something of which we are not accustomed.  My first inclination was to say, "No, you can do it tomorrow."  But, surprising even myself, I did not.  And now I am so incredibly thankful I didn't succumb to my exhaustion.

The next thing I knew Hannah took Gracyn (who was clearly distracted by a toy in her hands) into our school room and shut the door.  She told me she was going to pray with Gracyn.  The following is what transpired.  Get ready to choke up a bit...

Hannah:  Gracyn, let's pray together.  Bow your head.


Gracyn:  Me say "AMEN!"


Hannah:  Ok, Gracyn, you can say "amen".  Now, let's pray.  Dear God...


Gracyn:  OH, LOOK MOMMY!!!!  ME FIND THE CLOCK!!  MOMMY!!!  MOMMY!!!!!


At this point I casually opened the door and took the clock which had gone missing but Gracyn kindly found for us.


Hannah:  Gracyn, we're trying to pray...  Can you bow your head?  Ok, Dear God... 


Gracyn:  AMEN!


Hannah:  Gracyn, that was your blessing.  Now can I say a blessing for you?  Dear God, please come and live in Gracyn's heart.  Amen.


Sniffle, sniffle.  What love!  What sweet, sweet love.  She cares so much for her sweet sister that she would invite Christ to live in her.  Who does that at five years old?  I am so amazed, so humbled, so in awe of how God is molding and shaping her precious heart at such a tender, young age.

Later she told me that she had seen a video at church about a boy who asked God to live in his heart, and that she had already prayed and asked Him to live in her own heart.  But, you know, it is pretty clear to me that He has been there for a while.  The compassion, the love, the generosity the flows from it can only come from Him.  


If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.  As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced." Romans 10:9-11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin, this is so very sweet! In all things I have seen Hannah do, I think she is such a wise soul in a little girl's body. She blesses me!

Ali said...

So beautiful!!!


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.