Most nights I struggle to get through bedtime without losing absolutely all of my sanity. The demands are constant and I gave every last drop of my being to my four precious darlings two hours ago. So, it's nice when the blue moon rises and I have somehow been given supernatural energy to fully embrace their energy, their curiosity, their unabashed joy for life. Tonight was such a night and I want to write it down so I can remember it in the months ahead until the next blue moon.
It started with a sweet and rare time with Gracyn. I was on the computer and she climbed on my lap. She began to kiss my cheek and giggle hysterically. I tried to kiss her back and she exclaimed, "No kiss, Mommy. Me do it!" So, I sat there and took the assault of kisses like any good mother would, and soaked up every minute of the giggles in between.
She followed me to the bedroom where Jason was just coming home and getting comfortable for the night. I climbed into bed and she had the most curious look on her face. "Mommy, tired? Mommy night-night?" It was as though for the first time in her life she realized that Mommy sleeps. So, I went along with it.
"Yes, Mommy tired. Will you tuck me in and sing me a song." She gave a shy giggle and ran over to me. We laughed as I tried to pull her up on the bed without much luck. She climbed up beside me and laid down herself.
"Me night-night too, Mommy. Me tired, yes."
"Who's gonna sing me a song, then?" Another shy giggle. And then the playtime began. Pillows, blankets over head... You name it. Forget night-night. That never lasts long for a near three year old anyway.
A short while later as I was preparing to put the older two down, I came into the kitchen to find them doing one of their famous "Stay-out-of-the-kitchen-Mommy!" secrets. They LOVE to fix us something special... And we always know it's coming because we are shot if we step foot in the kitchen... Well, not exactly but you get the point. Over the years we've enjoyed plates full (and I mean FULL) of pretzels and strawberries... Jelly on bread (more like a drop of jelly)... Carrots and dip with ice cold water... They are always looking for ways to serve their mom and dad. It's adorable.
Tonight Hannah was writing a note while Ella prepared the snack: a glass full of clementines (yes, a glass) and a cup of about 8-10 tootsie roll pops. Hannah's note says the following, in her spelling, "We or going too mac lush and dinr and brefis. You gis too rest." That last sentence interpreted: "So you guys can rest." They went on to explain how tomorrow they were going to make all of the meals. We would have to sleep in. Oh, Kaden wakes up at 5:30 some mornings? Well if he does can you take him to your room and just wait. If he wants a bottle just wake me up (Ella) and I'll give it to him. How many ounces, Mom? Six? Ok, you just let me take care of it.
Jason came in at the appropriate time and after doling out kisses for their sweetness he suggested that they do this all on Saturday morning, our family breakfast day. That got the wheels turning for Ella. Tomorrow they will look through the recipe books and plan their breakfast. Can we put checks by what we want to make, Mom? But wait, Hannah realized that that stuff is "difficult to make... I like to just make peas and peanut butter and jelly. Stuff like that, Mom." Again. Adorable.
At bedtime I thanked them for how selfless they've been lately. This prompted a discussion on the differences between selfless and selfish. Ella decided we needed to type up and print off each word. We would put checks next to "selfless" every time someone in our family was serving others. Great idea, Ella. Great idea.
Days and nights like these are not easy to come by. I wish that I wasn't "selfish" at the end of the day, but frankly all of my self is simply used up by then. I'm grateful for the moments when God blesses me by opening my eyes to the sweetest, kindest people I know and lets me enjoy them a little bit. I do have, after all, the best job in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just the Six of Us
Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.
A Look Back
-
►
2013
(50)
- December (3)
- November (6)
- October (4)
- September (7)
- August (1)
- July (9)
- June (7)
- May (3)
- April (4)
- March (2)
- February (3)
- January (1)
-
►
2012
(47)
- November (4)
- October (3)
- September (3)
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (2)
- May (2)
- April (5)
- March (4)
- February (7)
- January (9)
-
▼
2011
(70)
- December (6)
- November (5)
- October (3)
- September (5)
- August (3)
- July (13)
- June (7)
- May (9)
- April (4)
- March (2)
- February (6)
- January (7)
-
►
2010
(53)
- December (5)
- November (5)
- September (9)
- August (8)
- July (5)
- June (1)
- May (5)
- April (4)
- February (6)
- January (5)
-
►
2009
(39)
- December (3)
- November (5)
- October (3)
- September (5)
- August (6)
- April (6)
- March (4)
- February (2)
- January (5)
No comments:
Post a Comment