February 20, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

It doesn't matter... You can have one, two, four, or fourteen children...  When your kids get sick a dark, dismal cloud hovers over you.  Needless to say, this winter the clouds have yet to clear.  Factor in a newborn and a post-partum momma and you've got yourself the makings of a real full blown blizzard.

I can honestly say that until this week (the 15th week) I had a clear mind (for the most part)... Thought "positive" thoughts... Said to myself, "This is just a season," over and over (and over) again.  I realized we were abundantly blessed with health even though temporarily it seemed not so.  But now the senility is setting in.  I'm going crazy.  I can't take much more.

Here is a run-down of our last 3.5 months (in order).  Just one week after giving birth, it all started with...

1 case of head lice (ick, I know)
1 nasty cough
turning into a sinus infection
another case of head lice (ick, again)
a severe case of tendinitis
another sinus infection
a nasty cold
an ear infection with accompanying vomit
a stomach bug with more vomiting
a severe sore throat with high fever
someone else with sore throat and high fever
another stomach bug (hello vomit)
**Brief Pause**
Yet another ear infection (did someone say "vomit"?)
5th's Disease (google it)
Nasty cold
5th's disease, again
2 more nasty colds
the friggin' FLU (vomit... yadda yadda)
the flu for our precious 3 month old
busted eardrum blood vessel (WHAT?)
Curiously red eardrums (I bought an otoscope, can you blame me?)

Which brings us to the present day.  Do I have any sympathizers?  I've decided to pitch a tent at the doctor's office.  Going out to purchase one now... Or maybe I could just hold my doctor hostage at our home so that when the next bug comes I don't have to load up all four kids in the van, trek them to The Petri-Dish (aka Doc's office), empty an entire bottle of sanitizer in vain as I watch my two year old lick the chair (while my 4 year old *who knows better* lays herself face down in the other chair), happily miserably walk out 2 HOURS LATER (welcome to Florence) with starving, screaming, sick kids in tow.  

It's just a season.  I know.  A very long, long season.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I was dreading starting my semester this Monday of Pathophysiology, Health Assessment, and Fundamental Skills of Nursing. Dreading it...until I read this post. Your life in the last 3 months = yikes.

PS - I love that you call the doctor's office "The Petri Dish." In just a few years, I will spend 36 hours a week in one. :)

I teach . . . said...

I have lived this life before and am happily on the the side. This is a yucky season, indeed, but it shall pass. (I also own an otoscope, btw. Ha!)

{love}

Amanda


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.