Well, I would've started with DAY ONE, but I was too exhausted to do anything but veg on the couch.
So, my pediatrician has been telling me since 12 months that Gracyn needed to drop the paci habit. Funny. She picked up the habit at 12 months (when she weaned from nursing). So, I was in no such rush to do what the board certified, highly paid professional was telling me I should do. Instead I questioned, like any good parent would do, "Why?"
"Well, pacifiers double the risk of ear infections after the age of 1."
Hmm... My little Gracyn has yet to have a single ear infection, so I can just keep on doin' what I'm doin'. We're all happy here, doc-tor.
Fast forward to her 18 month (ie: 15 month-but-too-darn-busy-to-get-it-done-on-time) appointment WITH PACI PROUDLY DISPLAYED IN HER MOUTH. Hm... I'll show you, Doc!
"Ok, 'Mama', time to get rid of the paci... Especially before the baby comes."
And, again, like any rational parent, "Why? She's only had one ear infection."
"Well, it could impede her speech development. And if you don't do it now, she'll be four before you can get her to give it up."
Ok, something to think about. But, she doesn't live with this toddler! She has no idea the volume of noise that can come out of her when she's unhappy... She hasn't spent more than 10 minutes with the little angel... Truly, not long enough to know the ramifications of not having something to plug, I mean soothe her.
So, I spent a few more months milling around the idea... What's so bad about a four year old with a paci? My sweet friend who lived overseas told me that 10 year olds have pacifiers there and no one thinks twice about it. See! I'm not crazy! So there. But, I do remember my other sweet friend telling me that if I don't give it up before two then she'll be caught between still needing a nap and not wanting to take one without it. Ugh! Oh, and there's my other sweet friend who's son wakes at 5 am because he's nearing 3 but chewed holes in his all of his pacis. Double ugh!
Which brings us to OPERATION PACI PURGE DAY THREE. I tried the suggestions I read about online. Cut a hole in the end, the suction will be gone and they'll not even want it anymore.......... Yea. Right. Plan B: Paint something nasty (i.e. "thum" for thumb suckers) on the end of it. Well, all that got us was several gags and a not so pleasant vomiting episode. Wow. I'm a horrible mom.
Low and behold, the best thing that has worked is simply throwing them in the trash and going cold turkey. She cried in her bed the first night for 3 hours. I cuddled with her a few times, but she was having the hardest time just falling asleep - even on my shoulder. Night two: laughing and talking to herself for an hour and a half. Quick cry for 5 minutes and finally asleep.
Day three... Seemingly more pleasant all around. Listening better. Not as whiny. Could it be that the pacifier was a crutch for her to not be responsible for herself?? Could it be that the doctor was right about getting rid of it, but for psychological reasons as well as medical ones? Tonight, I didn't even hear a peep outta her.
So, all in all the paci purge has been successful. She hasn't even asked for it! Ahh.... Now how to purge the tantrums...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just the Six of Us
Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.
A Look Back
-
►
2013
(50)
- December (3)
- November (6)
- October (4)
- September (7)
- August (1)
- July (9)
- June (7)
- May (3)
- April (4)
- March (2)
- February (3)
- January (1)
-
►
2012
(47)
- November (4)
- October (3)
- September (3)
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (2)
- May (2)
- April (5)
- March (4)
- February (7)
- January (9)
-
►
2011
(70)
- December (6)
- November (5)
- October (3)
- September (5)
- August (3)
- July (13)
- June (7)
- May (9)
- April (4)
- March (2)
- February (6)
- January (7)
-
▼
2010
(53)
- December (5)
- November (5)
- September (9)
- August (8)
- July (5)
- June (1)
- May (5)
- April (4)
- February (6)
- January (5)
-
►
2009
(39)
- December (3)
- November (5)
- October (3)
- September (5)
- August (6)
- April (6)
- March (4)
- February (2)
- January (5)
2 comments:
yeah! love the post! we are trying to give up the thumb! sometime i too feel like the worst mother!
Love this post, Erin! My 4 were all soooo different in this department. B-18mo or so. I-4yrs old!!!!! N-never, NEVER took one. Ever. R-about 7 mo.
I think it's great that you listened to the Dr. but did it in your own time, too. Good Mama!
I love it when you talk so "real" about your girls. What sweet, normal little ladies they are :-)
Post a Comment