August 18, 2010

Coffee and Monster Trucks



Something I try to do with each daughter, individually, is have a quiet moment of coffee and hot chocolate talk.  We started doing this a while ago when it occurred to me that having a "date night" with each girl once a week was a bit too ambitious with our schedules and ages of the girls.  In addition, I've found that it is easier to focus on conversation on our sunroom's comfy couch than in a restaurant booth full of noise and people.  The girls really look forward to their time alone with Mom.

I will admit, that I had to overcome my expectations that we'd converse about dreams and desires, fears or unanswerable questions... Instead, our talks consist of planning pretend tea parties, new toys at church,  best friends, and baby Kaden.  It is my hope that this will become a tradition... a time as the girls grow older that they share their hearts, their fears, their dreams and desires... and maybe even ask some tough questions.  

Jason's time with the girls is quickly becoming a tradition, as well.  Saturday mornings, after our family breakfast, Jason runs errands in his "monster truck".  I have labeled it that because that thing is a beast - but that's another blog entry... For some unknown reason, the girls find it incredibly cool to take a ride in the Ford F250.  It's loud, smelly, and hardly runs some days... But to them, it speaks "Daddy time".  Each girl gets a Saturday to truck along with Dad as he runs around town.  And it's no surprise that every time the truck somehow ends up at the old fashioned country store for a tasty treat.

1 comment:

Nicole @MTDLBlog said...

I love this idea! I might have to do this with my girls if you don't mind that "Beg, Borrow and Steal" mentality from our teaching days. :-) PS: Love the Taylor Swift "Best Day" song....perfect for our girls!


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.