


It's just going to be one of the many things my kids roll their eyes about and scoff at... But I say it every year. I can't believe she's already FIVE! Ella's fifth birthday came without warning. Truly! For several years she has asked to have her party at Fundaygo Bounce House. Thinking I had time on my side, I promised, "Five years old, Ella, and then you can have your party there!" Well, here we are.
There's a battle within me at the moment. Part of me wishes these years didn't fly so fast. She's not my baby... toddler... not even my preschooler anymore. She's a R-E-A-L kid! But the other side of me finds great joy in the beautiful little soul she is growing into. It's amazing to watch the baby years melt away and see this person with amazing thoughts and questions and realizations come into being. Her little mind goes a million miles a minute, asking tough questions like, "How can God know watch over every person? Is he really that big?" "Where was Jesus before he was a baby?" "I know God made the earth, but HOW?" Some of her questions are satisfied with an easy answer, but most are not. Ella inquires until it feels right in her mind.
There are many things I appreciate about Ella and a great deal I understand implicitly. She is a lot like her mom. She's uncomfortable being the center of attention... She's a pleaser and somewhat of a perfectionist. She's orderly, but also loves to get dirty. She's a hard worker and responsible... and athlete in the making... A giggler like I've never seen... Incredibly playful and silly, sweet, gentle, sensitive, and such a compassionate spirit.
Sweet, Sweet, Ella... Every morning when you sneak downstairs in your adorable little slippers I can't wait to throw my arms around you. Even in the mornings with your momma, it takes a little while to warm up, but you love to be cuddled in the meantime. You have the most gentle spirit, always sensitive to others' moods and feelings and concerned about people who are hurting. You were the first to note that we needed to pray for the "earthquake people". You love to play... soccer, tennis, and baseball are your favorite activities as of late (and you seem to have a knack for them all!). You are the cultivator of our garden, the caterpillar hunter, and a lover of all God's creation. I just love it when you run to me and whisper in a quiet, yet animated voice, "Mommy, there... is... a... lizard... on... our... porch." Like it's the first time you've ever seen one. Your also so quick to notice the little thinks in nature, like the chrysalis hanging high in a tree, a camouflaged moth on our front porch, a leaf that resembles a star, the tiny buds on our trees. Although I've never asked you, I believe your idea of a perfect day would be hanging out at home with both mom and dad... playing outside most of the day... getting dirty from head to toe... taking a bath in the big bathtub... and eating PB & J for dinner. You are a homebody and tell me all the time how much you love to be at home. You love family. You love friends. But you also enjoy a little peace and quiet. Several times throughout the day, you'll get your coloring book and spend 30 minutes to an hour just coloring and in your own thoughts. Sometimes I wonder what you're thinking, but you usually let me know as questions pop in and out of your mind and onto your tongue. You're inquisitive and thoughtful, considerate and kind and such an amazing joy to both me and Daddy. We love you to "Florida and back" and are eternally grateful that you are our little princess. Happy Fifth Birthday, Ella. And many, many happy returns.
Thanks to my friend, Jennie, who took these great photos!!


No comments:
Post a Comment