January 14, 2012

Ella is a gentle spirit.  She has a way about her of doing things for others without the desire or need for recognition.  She has learned at a young age that the true gift of giving is self-sacrifice, not acknowledgement of the giver or for self-gain.

Now don't get me wrong.  I am often being given a new "dessert" she has conjured up in the kitchen without my knowledge.  Only to hear minutes later... "Mmmm.  That looks good, Mom.  Wish I could have a bite."

But for the most part, I see Ella helping me or others because it is simply her heart.  And I love that about her.  Just today, Kaden was still in his jammies at 11ish...  I didn't ask or expect her to, but Ella changed him into his play clothes and went on her merry way cleaning up the family room.  Earlier last week, I was upstairs when Kaden awoke from his nap.  Ella helped him out of his crib and put him in his highchair.  When I came downstairs he was quietly eating a snack while she fixed the rest of the crew something to eat.  That's just a kindness that you don't always find in children.  For many of us that was a learned behavior (and some of us are still learning it).

Yesterday, Ella lost a tooth.  There's just something about losing a tooth that makes you feel so "mature".  Ella was a cool cat all day yesterday, and even a little bit today.  It was adorable to see her so excited but trying her hardest to maintain her composure.  Last night she asked me to write the word "generous" on a post-it-note.  After doing so, she skipped away and began writing something on a blank sheet of paper as she sat on the floor.

I asked if I could see it and naturally she responded, "No. Maybe tomorrow."  Thankfully, after she thought about it some more, she realized the Tooth Fairy (whom the note was written to) might very well take it with her when she takes Ella's tooth.  Have a look at it yourself.  It is priceless.


How sweet is that?

No comments:


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.