December 31, 2010

There's No Place Like...


When I was growing up, I distinctly remember thinking that everything was better at Grandma’s house.   The beds were more comfortable, the food tastier, the couches cozier, the flowers prettier, (the lightning bugs brighter)… And the smells… ahh the amazing aroma that filled the air was a constant reminder that we were in a stress free, inviting, wonderful place. A place that seemed timeless.  A place filled with unconditional love.  A place that I didn't want to leave.
Although my precious grandmother passed away earlier this year, I'm blessed to still find that place in Jason's grandmother's home.  Whenever we visit I feel completely at home and completely at peace.  There's no other place I want to be.  It is a home brimming over with love, laughter, memories, and unconditional love.
Grandma Kate is the matriarch of the Anderson family.  An incredibly strong woman.  An incredibly gracious woman.  An incredible woman.  She doesn't ask for much from anyone, but oh how everyone does all they can to ensure she has all she needs... A true testament to her own generosity over the years.  Though I've only know her for 14 years, it is evident that her entire life has been devoted to giving to others, caring for others, selflessly providing for others' needs.
Oh how I love going home to Grandma's for the holidays.  As soon as we step in the doors it is evident she has prepared the place with lots of love.  And though she likely spent days preparing, our ever-growing family has a tornado effect within minutes of arriving... Yet, she seems to welcome our mess because with it comes the laughter of the girls, the snuggles of a new baby, and more memories to be made.  

We celebrated on Christmas Eve.  After a wonderful dinner, we read the first Christmas story from the Bible and then opened gifts.  Here is our progression of the evening. 
I'm going cookoo... When are we opening gifts??






I'll just hang out here... You tell me when we're ready!
Mary, I think I see Santa!
Can you hear his bells?
Luke 2:19 But Mary treasured up all these things 
and pondered them in her heart.










The last gift of the evening was a special surprise for Grandma.  She. Had. No. Idea.  Can you tell?

1 comment:

I teach . . . said...

Beautiful Erin. Grandma Kate sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.