July 3, 2010

Time with Family

This visit was anticipated more than most, I believe, because of a number of things... Hannah's birthday fell within the time my family would be here... Uncle Brad was visiting for the first time... And Ella and Hannah would be going back with my parents to Florida all-by-themselves.  The girls were jittery with excitement days before their arrival.  When they finally got here, it was better than we could've expected.

We spent many hours laughing, being silly with the girls, eating, and just relaxing together as only family can do.  The girls did their best to ask politely if they could jump all over Uncle Brad and Aunt Ali... A skill we attempted to work on.  But, much of the time the question didn't need to be asked, as the adults were the ones initiating the play.  






















































It was unusual not to have the girls gathered with us, but one night they were nowhere to be found.  When I discovered they were up in their room, it intrigued me to know why they weren't preferring to be with all of us.  It didn't take long to realize they were up to something special.  Ella and Hannah were preparing a birthday party and they invited all of us to join in.  **Ella was sure to mention a few times that the birthday party was for her ** considering Hannah's actual party would be the next day.

The party was kicked off with a challenging game of Hide and Go Seek.  Challenging for the adults, that is.  Since most of us hadn't played this since we were 8, it was not easy fitting our adult-sized bodies into child-sized hiding spots.  I think Aunt Ali won the award for best attempt (see below).

Then they moved onto dancing to the Wiggles.  The little ones were a bit timid to join in, but the big kids had no problem jumping right in to "Lights! Camera! Action!"  Aunt Ali and Uncle Brad had some moves I'd never seen before.  I think it may have intimidated the girls a bit. :)  Grandma mastered the Mashed Potato and Grandpa tried out the Jitterbug. 



























On our last day together, we spent the day on a houseboat attempting to fish.  Rumor has it that Uncle Brad won the bet he and Jason had as to who would make the biggest catch.  I believe it came down to a snail vs. a paper towel.  Grandpa tried out fishing, too, but it looks as though he got the raw end of the deal.

Regardless that the fish were not biting, we still had a good time.  Jason and the girls went for a swim and Uncle Brad jumped off the roof of the houseboat as a bonus for us all. More than anything, we just relaxed in the breeze of the day and made memories that will stay with us forever.

The great gift of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might never even introduce yourself to, had life not done it for you.  ~Kendall Hailey















2 comments:

Grandpa said...

That was a kiddie pole? Hey, nobody told me! Now I know why I couldn't catch anything!!!

JaBLes Mommy said...

Such a beautiful family! :)


Just the Six of Us

Six may seem like a lot but only to others. It is who we are. Some people like peace and quiet (who doesn't?), but the quiet we lack we gain all the more in giggles, feet scampering, I love yous, tickles, tiny voices singing. Being a mother to these four amazing little people and a wife to the most incredible person I know is a blessing that can't be put into words; I am living my dream.